Examples of initiatives the Trust has funded
- In 2015 a chaplain to present a paper t at the International Congress on Pastoral Care & Counselling (ICPCC) in San Francisco entitled, “Cultural narratives and non-verbal presentations”.
- In 2019 a Chaplain to present a paper to the International Congress on Pastoral Care & Counselling (ICPCC) in Malacca, Malaysia on “Narratives and Mental Health” which highlighted some of the ‘voices’ of clients at Porirua Hospital and the value of chaplaincy services. The focus was on strength-based strategies which clients have found helpful in their recovery, the use of stories in spiritual assessment and the value of accompanying them in their spiritual journey
- In 2018-19 an internship at Porirua Hospital which provided a supervised clinical learning experience for an intern in mental health chaplaincy. This project was the first of its kind in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Some of the highlights during the internship included:
- The intern completing a unit (400 hours) of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) and gained “hands-on” mental health chaplaincy training by visiting clients at the Day Unit, Adolescent, Acute Inpatient Adult and Psychogeriatric Units.
- Mental Health, Addiction and Intellectual Disability Services (MHAIDS) providing the ideal campus setting with the inpatient and outpatient units; clinicians, multidisciplinary staff and cultural resources